Christmas is a time to share with loved ones. This is demonstrated over the festive period in various ways, from sending and receiving cards and traveling to see those who are your nearest and dearest to gift giving. It is a celebration enjoyed across the world. The impact of this celebration on the planet isn’t often considered. Have you considered buying eco friendly Christmas gifts this year?
We are no grinch. As a family, we love celebrating with all the bells and whistles. We are not suggesting that Christmas should be cancelled, but we are looking at ways to make it more planet-friendly. Historically the waste generated at Christmas has been striking.
The Environmental Impact Of Christmas
As the years pass, more people are becoming more conscious of their carbon footprint and striving to make sustainable and eco-friendly choices. Of course, there is always room for improvement.
Studies show over recent years Christmas has generated:
- 227,000 miles of wrapping paper being disposed of
- 4,500 tonnes of tin foil being used and disposed
- 125,000 tonnes of plastic
- 230,000 tonnes of food being binned
Positive Changes For A More Sustainable Christmas
By far one of the most celebrated holidays, Christmas allows you to enjoy the celebration with those you love the most. It is possible to continue to enjoy every aspect of Christmas and the perks that the festive season brings while reducing your waste and its impact on the planet. There are many positive changes that you can make to help beyond just buying eco friendly Christmas gifts.
As a sustainable vegan soap and vegan shampoo bars company, we are keen to share our top hints and tricks with you to make this the best and most sustainable Christmas yet.
Previously it was recorded that discarded wrapping paper and Christmas card waste, if placed together, could stretch around the world 500 times. As metallic or coated cards and paper are not recyclable, it ends up in the landfill.
Buying and using cards and paper that are fully recyclable is one of the most significant changes that can be made. This doesn’t mean sacrificing how your gifts are presented. It just means considering the materials used.
If you don’t want to give up sending Christmas cards or send e-cards instead, look for FSC-certified cards and ones that include no glitter.
There are many sustainable ways to send your gifts this year. So before you head out to buy gift wrap, consider what you already own. Re-using gift bags or previous packaging is a sure start to prevent unnecessary waste. Alternatively, newspaper or brown paper also make ideal wrapping solutions.
Buy Eco Friendly Christmas Gifts
From handmade soaps to gift sets, there will be a company that prides itself on being eco-friendly.
For example, all of the vegan soaps, shampoos, and dog shampoos are all sustainability made, natural, and packaged sustainably with recyclable and/or biodegradable materials.
Sustainable Christmas Decorations
If you already own plastic decorations, don’t feel guilty about using them again. The most sustainable thing you can do is to use what you already own with guilt-free abandon.
If, however, you are looking to replace your decorations or start fresh, here are some tips for eco-friendly and ethical Christmas decorations.
- Make your own. There are many ways that you can create plastic-free decorations that will bring extra sparkle to your home over the dark winter days.
- Salt-dough decorations are ideal. They can be put on your tree or strung up to make garlands.
- Take one of your vegan soap bars and carve your own Christmas decoration. Plus, there is zero waste, as the soap shavings can be used in your bamboo soap bag immediately.
- Upcycle. What is more sustainable than taking something you already own and making it usable once more?
- If you have any empty glass bottles around, instead of putting them out to be recycled, consider giving them a new lease of life and transforming them. Place in some greenery, such as a sprig from your tree, ivy, or fresh herbs, pop and candle at the top, and viola, an instant centerpiece.
Whether you are looking at what gift to buy someone or how to decorate the item, opting for something reusable is an instant win.
- For gifts, give something that they can use again and again. Instead of a novelty item that will be discarded or perishables, items such as socks, clothing, or mugs, as a few examples, are a great alternative.
- Use material gift wrap. Instead of using paper gift bags or wrap, an alternative is using material. Items such as a scarf to wrap or a reusable jute bag are excellent eco-friendly options.
Reuse Again Next Year
When the season ends, consider what can be carefully stored away and reused next year instead of throwing everything away.
Even the Christmas cards you received that cannot be recycled can find a new lease of life next year. Store them away, and next year, they are in place to be upcycled into gift tags or folded to make origami decorations.
Step Into Christmas The Oschen Way With Eco Friendly Christmas Gifts
From our family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful Christmas. We’re sure that you will get the same thrill out of making your Christmas more eco-friendly. Discover our range of vegan soap bars and vegan shampo bars, they make great stocking fillers at Christmas! Alternatively, if you want one of the best eco friendly Christmas gifts, why not consider our Oschen Gift Set?